October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Breast cancer awareness in the U.S. has grown considerably over the past decade, due in part to the incredible efforts of organizations such as Susan G. Komen For the Cure and the National Breast Cancer Foundation. Awareness has become so ubiquitous and closely associated with the color pink that even the National Football League encourages its players to wear the color in honor of breast cancer awareness during its “Crucial Catch” campaign.
- Approximately 1 in 8 women in the US (between 12% and 13%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.
- In 2010, an estimated 207,090 new cases of invasive breast cancer were expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S., along with 54,010 new cases of non-invasive (in situ) breast cancer.
- Approximately 39,840 women in the U.S. are expected to die in 2010 from breast cancer.
- Death rates have been decreasing since 1991. These decreases are thought to be the result of treatment advances, earlier detection through screening, and increased awareness.
- About 1,970 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in men in 2010. Less than 1% of all new breast cancer cases occur in men.
Can I Get Term Life Insurance If I’ve Had Breast Cancer
Yes, it is possible to buy a new term life insurance policy if you have a history of breast cancer. Most life insurance companies will consider you for a policy after one year has passed since the completion of your treatment. Some of the factors they will consider are:
- The stage of the tumor
- The grade of the tumor
- Any metastasis to lymph nodes
- Whether a mastectomy or lumpectomy performed
- Type and length of treatment
- Results of follow-up examinations
The life insurance company will evaluate all of the above factors in determining your eligibility for coverage and the policy premium. We recommend talking with a licensed representative who can check with several life insurance companies on a preliminary basis.
We hope everyone will continue to ‘think pink’ during the month of October and beyond!