UPDATED: Mar 26, 2020
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about life insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything life insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by life insurance experts.
Ergonomics is about ensuring a good fit between people and what they interact with. This could include the objects they use or the environments they live in. Having an ergonomically correct workspace is essential to good health. Ergonomics is all about how the human body interacts with your work and the environment.
Incorporating ergonomics into your office will improve your productivity, make you more comfortable and prevent stress and injury. This will improve your health and can help save money on term life insurance.
An ergonomically designed office is one that is created to ensure maximum productivity. This means making your office tools and resources readily available, making you more efficient and productive in your work. Organize your office space, so that frequently used items are close to you, and less frequently used items are in a drawer or on a shelf. Keep your keyboard and mouse close to you on your desk. Having to drag out your keyboard and mouse, or pulling them closer to you every time that you sit down to work, means wasted time and less productivity.
Sitting behind a desk all day can be grueling on the body. It is important to have an office set up that not only improves your productivity, but also allows you to be comfortable. There are plenty of office tools and furniture pieces out there that can aid you in creating an ergonomic and comfortable room. The more comfortable you are at your desk, the less likely you will be distracted from pain, and you can focus on the task at hand.
Ready to get started?
Your quotes are always free.
Prevents Stress and Injury
You may spend hours at a time seated in front of your computer screen working and typing. Being stationary for long periods, constantly looking at a computer screen and conducting repetitive motions like typing, can create stress for the body. Ergonomics is important because it can prevent stress and injury if you do the following:
- Rest your hands frequently, especially when any tingling, numbness, pain, cramping, etc. occurs.
- Invest in a quality office chair that is adjustable and fits you well.
- When using a keyboard or mouse, your hands should be even or slightly lower than your elbows.
- Keep your hands aligned with your forearms as much as possible, rather than bent at the wrists.
- Rest your elbows on your chair’s armrests and adjust them so the weight of your arms is supported by the armrests, not by your shoulders.
- Make sure that your feet touch the floor at a 90-degree angle. If your feet cannot touch the floor, then use a footrest.
- The top of your monitor should be at eye level, so you aren’t bending your neck up or too far down.
Ergonomics in the office is important because it improves your productivity, creates a comfortable work environment, and prevents stress and injury. Creating an ergonomic office is easy if you follow the above tips. You not only will improve the quality of your work, but also will improve the quality of your life and could save you money on term life insurance.