A study at the University of Florida found that two minutes in the microwave at full power could kill a range of bacteria, viruses, and parasites on kitchen sponges. The team of ‘researchers’ soaked the sponges in wastewater and then nuked them in the microwave on the highest setting.
Upon hearing that people were trying this at home using dry sponges, the University issued the following advisory:
- To guard against the risk of fire, people who wish to sterilize their sponges at home must ensure the sponge is completely wet.
- Two minutes of microwaving are sufficient for most sterilization.
- Sponges should have no metallic content.
- People should be careful when removing the sponge from the microwave as it will be hot.
Thankfully the university added the last item to the advisory, just in case people didn’t know microwaves heat things up. Our advice is to make sure your life insurance policy is in force before you start microwaving common household items.