UPDATED: Feb 25, 2020
We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Happy Earth Day 2011! This year, why not do something to help protect the planet AND protect your family at the same time?
The process used to purchase term life insurance is getting ‘greener’ every day. Take a look at how each step in the process has evolved:
- Term Life Quotes: Quotes have been available electronically via online life insurance websites for many years.
- Electronic Applications: Completing forms online helps reduce paper waste.
- Electronic Signatures: Many term life insurance applications can now be signed electronically, further reducing the need for paper.
- Electronic Paramedical Exams: Some paramedical examination companies are now providing tablets or laptop computers to examiners in the field. The examiners complete the exam on the device and upload the information to the home office. This system also cuts paper use out of the process and results in quicker, more accurate and safer transfer of data.
- Automatic Status Updates: Updates on the progress of your term life insurance application can be posted to your online account or sent electronically by email or text message. Most life insurance companies have eliminated or reduced sending letters in the mail.
- Electronic Policy Delivery: As we mentioned in our blog about ePolicy Delivery last month, this process is still in its infancy. However, ePolicy has the potential to be perhaps the most earth friendly of all the steps in the process of purchasing term life insurance. Paper term life insurance policies can be several dozen pages long. Electronic policies can be stored as .pdf files and may never need to be printed at all! That is a tremendous amount of paper and ink that will be saved by using ePolicy Delivery.
- Electronic Policy Service: Many life insurance companies now offer automated services for managing your term life insurance policy. For example, MetLife offers a service appropriately named eSERVICE, which allows policy owners to complete the following online:
- Name changes
- Beneficiary changes
- Ownership changes
- Address, phone and email updates
- Premium payment arrangements
Over 1 million customers have signed up to use eSERVICE, according to MetLife.
As the process of purchasing term life insurance continues to evolve and new technologies emerge, both you and Mother Earth will enjoy the benefits. We hope you all have a great Earth Day 2011!