Term Life Insurance for Single Mothers

Ready to compare quick life insurance quotes?

Your life insurance quotes are always free.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Tim is a licensed life insurance agent with 23 years of experience helping people protect their families and businesses with term life insurance. He writes and creates stuff for QuickQuote and other insurance and financial websites. You can find him on Twitter.

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right life insurance coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident life insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top life insurance providers. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about life insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything life insurance-related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by life insurance experts.

There were 12.2 million single-parent families in the U.S. in 2012, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Of those, over 84 percent were headed by single mothers. That’s roughly 10.3 million single mothers, 45 percent of whom never married. The remaining 55 percent were either divorced, separated or widowed. Most would agree, being a mother is the most difficult ‘job’ there is. If this is true, imagine how much more challenging it is to be a single mother.

The Need for Life Insurance

All families need some form of life insurance. This is especially true of single parent families. The loss of the sole breadwinner’s income can create a tremendous burden for the surviving dependents and their caregivers. According to a recent LIMRA study, single mothers without life insurance are more likely to depend on family and friends to cover the financial burden they leave behind. Sources of support available to surviving dependents include:

  • Family & Friends – 50%
  • Social Security – 40%
  • Savings – 20%
  • Earnings of Others – 20%
  • Retirement Funds – 18%

Your life insurance quotes are always free.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

A Case for Term Life Insurance

The U.S. Census Bureau shows about 25 percent of single mothers have an income that places them within the middle class. Yet, data from The Pew Center shows single mothers make just 60 percent as much as married mothers. One possibility for this difference is because many single mothers simply work less due to their increased responsibilities at home.

It’s no surprise that life insurance ownership increases along with income, as illustrated by this data from – again – the U.S. Census Bureau.

Income Own Life Insurance
Below $25,000 38%
$25,000 – $34,999 69%
$35,000 – $49,000 77%
$50,000 – $74,000 84%
Over $75,000 92%

When there are bills to be paid and food and clothing to be bought, life insurance naturally falls to the bottom of the list. The solution to this problem is term life insurance. Term life offers the lowest premiums for the most amount of coverage when compared to other types of life insurance. Many people do not know this, but a healthy single mother can buy a $500,000 policy for less than a dollar a day. One dollar! Take a look at these rates for a 20-yr term life policy with a Preferred rating class (second lowest rate available).

<b.Age <b.Minor Illness <b.Moderate Illness <b.Severe Illness
45 $28,610 $62,466 $117,180
55 $31,800 $72,970 $131,382

With premiums for term life insurance this low, coverage may be more affordable than you previously thought. If you are a single mother in need of this valuable coverage, talk with an agent or go online to view term life insurance quotes.

Ready to compare quick life insurance quotes?

Your life insurance quotes are always free.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

QuickQuote is a BBB Accredited Business. QuickQuote Financial, Inc. BBB Business Review