State Auto Insurance Review 
State Auto provides a variety of insurance products in 33 states. Its most popular products are home and auto insurance. The State Auto insurance reviews for car insurance policies tend to be good, focusing on exceptional customer service, fast responses, and quick payouts. State Auto insurance reviews for homeowners are rougher, with many complaints about how the company handles claims.
Ready to compare quick life insurance quotes?
Your life insurance quotes are always free.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Dec 27, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right life insurance coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident life insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one life insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.
Our life insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different life insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about life insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything life insurance-related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by life insurance experts.
- State Auto offers home, auto, and a long list of other insurance types in 33 states
- Reviews tend to be more favorable for car insurance and negative for homeowners
- State Auto has an A+ from the Better Business Bureau and an A- from A.M. Best
Founded in 1921, State Auto started as a local auto insurance company. As the company celebrates its 100th anniversary, State Auto sells various insurance products in 33 states.
From personal car insurance, homeowner policies, renter insurance, and commercial fleet insurance, State Auto has something for just about every insurance need.
However, the true test of a company comes from customer reviews. So, how do State Auto insurance reviews look?
It’s important to look at as many companies as possible regardless of the type of insurance you need. After looking over State Auto insurance reviews and browsing rates, you’ll be ready to make a decision. Enter your ZIP code into our free tool to see what quotes might look like for you.
What types of insurance does State Auto sell?
State Auto primarily sells auto and homeowners insurance, but they have a long list of products available to you.
Condo Dwelling Fire Renters
Personal Umbrella Commercial Property Commercial Liability
Commercial Auto Commercial Umbrella Farm and Ranch
Farm Auto Farm Umbrella Fleet Safety 360
Data Breech Cyber Coverage Employment Practices Liability
Worker's Comp Risk Engineering Industry Solutions
As you can see, State Auto wants to be a significant provider of insurance for personal, commercial, and agricultural needs. However, it hasn’t joined the life insurance market yet — you’ll need to go elsewhere for that.
State Auto Car Insurance
There are three main packages that State Auto bundles its car insurance plans in Standard, Protection Plus, and AutoXtended Premier. These are pre-designed policies that you can customize to fit your needs.
The most basic of the plans is the Standard package. This package consists of only the coverages you select, meaning you’re not paying for any extra features you probably won’t use.
The Protection Plus package comes with a few added benefits built into the price. Many choices are available, such as $500 in pet protection and Accident Forgiveness.
Finally, the AutoXtended Premier package gives you all the coverages of Protection Plus but with higher limits. Pet protection rises to $750, and you get $1,000 in cell phone insurance.
State Auto offers traditional car insurance options within each package. These include:
- Liability, which pays for damages you cause to other cars and properties
- Collision covers your vehicle no matter who is at fault or if there is no other driver
- Comprehensive protects your vehicle from damage not caused by collisions, like weather, vandalism, or theft
- Medical payments and personal injury protection help pay medical bills for you, other drivers, passengers, and pedestrians
- Glass coverage will replace all the glass on your vehicle
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist protects you against drivers with inadequate insurance
- Roadside assistance offers 24/7 assistance if you breakdown on the side of the road
- Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts coverage allows you to get manufacturer parts rather than aftermarket if your vehicle is less than ten years old
- Rideshare, for drivers that use their personal vehicle for business, either giving rides or delivering food
- Accident Forgiveness skips raising your rates for your first accident
- Auto replacement cost will replace a new car if it’s declared a total loss
- AutoXtended coverage endorsement, which gives extra protection to the Protection Plus package
One complaint about State Auto is that it tends to be more expensive than the average auto insurance provider. To combat higher costs, State Auto has several discounts available:
- Good student, usually for maintaining a B average
- Driver safety class, though the class must be approved
- State Auto Safety 360 telematics gives you a massive discount if you drive with State Auto’s data gathering device
- Anti-theft devices, including GPS tracking and audible alarms
- Defensive driving course for adults over 21 that have taken a course within the last three years
- Multi-car for having more than one vehicle on your plan
- Bundling for buying more than one policy
- Paid-in-full, rather than paying monthly, you pay one yearly amount
- State Auto Start-Up for getting an insurance quote before your policy starts, while you were a customer with another company
With all of these discounts, a State Auto agent will be able to find you the perfect auto insurance plan.
State Auto Home Insurance
State Auto replicated its three package auto insurance system for homeowners. Here, the packages are Standard, Protection Plus, and Premier.
Again, the Standard package is the most basic, allowing you to pay for only what you select for your policy.
The Protection Plus includes several added benefits, such as rental golf cart protection, freezer content replacement, and lock repair.
The Premier package includes everything Protection Plus has but adds more coverage for high-value items like jewelry, antiques, and art.
Within each package, you can select from the following coverage options:
- Standard HO3 and dwelling coverages
- Earthquake (if you live in earthquake-prone zones)
- Homesharing if you rent your home out to companies like Airbnb
- Blanket personal property
- Identity theft protection helps you recover what was stolen and covers legal fees
- Home systems protection
- Personal injury
- Schedule personal property, which gives additional coverage for high-value items that have bee appraised
- Water backup
- HomeXtended coverage endorsement
- Ordinance or law coverage
- Service line
Just like the auto plans, State Auto has multiple discount possibilities for you to take advantage of.
- Fortified home
- Roof construction, if your roof has been recently replaced
- New home, for any construction within the last few years
- Protective features, such as fire and burglar alarms
- Advanced quote
State Auto strives to cover the role of traditional insurance while giving you exciting options to fit your lifestyle.
Your life insurance quotes are always free.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
State Auto Reviews
In general, State Auto does relatively well. State Auto earns an A+ with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). However, the State Auto home insurance reviews on the BBB page tend to be negative customer experiences.
A.M. Best gives State Auto an A- for its financial strength, which means it should have no problem paying out claims.
Customers tend to leave mixed reviews for State Auto. Its auto insurance has mostly positive reviews, with customers enjoying fast response times, quick payouts, and excellent customer service.
Most customers also enjoy the website, where it’s easy to make a State Auto insurance payment and find information about your policy.
State Auto insurance reviews for homeowners are a different story. Many customers report being unhappy with the way State Auto handles claims, damage assessments, and payouts.
Explore State Auto’s Options
Even though State Auto is a smaller company, it offers big insurance packages. From home to auto and practically everything in between, State Auto might be the right company for you.
If State Auto insurance reviews have piqued your interest, you should still shop as many companies as possible to find the best rates. Enter your ZIP code into our free tool today if you’re interested in seeing what quotes might look like for you.