Live Extreme! 17 Adventurous Things Your Term Life Insurance Policy Can Make Less Risky

Ready to compare quick life insurance quotes?

Your life insurance quotes are always free.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Tim is a licensed life insurance agent with 23 years of experience helping people protect their families and businesses with term life insurance. He writes and creates stuff for QuickQuote and other insurance and financial websites. You can find him on Twitter.

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right life insurance coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident life insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top life insurance providers. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about life insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything life insurance-related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by life insurance experts.

Some people are content to play it safe and keep their feet firmly planted on the ground, while others like living life on the edge. They throw caution to the wind. They laugh in the face of danger. They thrive on exhilaration and adrenaline.

Term life insurance is a wonderful safety net for anyone, but if you’re a thrill-seeker, it’s a parachute you don’t want to jump without. “Extreme” activities, by Wikipedia’s definition, are classified as such when “poor execution of the activity has to result in a considerable risk of serious physical harm to the participant.”

In other words, daredevils assume more risk than the rest of us.

An analysis by Dr. Vani J. Sabesan, an orthopedic surgeon at Western Michigan University School of Medicine, showed 83 percent of injuries related to extreme sports were head injuries, 17 percent were neck injuries, and 2.5 percent of those injuries were classified as “severe, resulting in potential lifelong disability or death.”  (According to a New York Times article on March 31, 2014, by Jane E. Brody)

While you can minimize the chance of anything catastrophic happening to you by taking safety precautions and knowing all there is to know about your extreme pastime, the unexpected can – and does happen. Having a term life insurance policy in place to protect your family’s financial well-being can give you peace of mind while you live life with abandon.

Would You Feel More Secure Doing These Extreme Activities if You had a Term Life Insurance Policy?

  1. Rock climbing
  2. Bungee jumping
  3. Surfing
  4. Skiing
  5. Skydiving
  6. Waterskiing
  7. Motorcross
  8. Caving
  9. Ziplining
  10. Skateboarding
  11. Cage diving with sharks
  12. Mountain biking
  13. Scuba diving
  14. Hang gliding
  15. White water rafting
  16. Running with the bulls
  17. Base jumping

Whether you’ve been thinking about doing any of these things or have already crossed them off your bucket list, a term life insurance policy offers financial security for your loved ones. Not nearly enough people take it seriously even though it’s one of the most simple and affordable ways to protect their families.

According to LIMRA’s 2013 Facts About Life, only 30% of U.S. households have life insurance. Even if the people in the other 70% don’t participate in extreme sports, not having life insurance is risky business. Planning for the future and looking out for your family is important for everyone – not just adventurers and risk-takers.

Your life insurance quotes are always free.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will the Life Insurance Company Allow You to Participate in These Activities?

Most of the time, the answer is ‘yes.’ On rare occasions, the company will not allow hazardous activities, such as private aviation. The company can exclude them or even decline your application outright.

However, the most common response is to charge you more for your policy. This is often called a flat extra amount and can add considerably to the cost of your policy. But keep in mind, these costs are usually added if you are an active participant in a hazardous activity at the time you apply for coverage. So, if you were to take up rock climbing years after you purchased your term life insurance policy, you would be covered if rock climbing turned into rock falling.

So, what are you waiting for? Get out there and have an adventure!

Ready to compare quick life insurance quotes?

Your life insurance quotes are always free.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

QuickQuote is a BBB Accredited Business. QuickQuote Financial, Inc. BBB Business Review